"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A brief note on laughter.

Dear readers,

Sorry I fail at getting to the internet cafe before it closes. I'll try to be better.

I hope this makes up for it.


(Written 8/27)


My host family is crazy about laughing. They laugh about everything, all the time, period. Everything is hilarious to them, which I in turn find hilarious. They laugh during tea, during dinner, at their children, at their relatives, at their neighbors, and sometimes (and quite politely, I might add) at me. They find joy in everything, which is completely refreshing. I have no doubt, dear reader, that you wouldn't be able to last five minutes in this household without cracking a grin. (Note: The only person not entirely amused by life is Inkar, my host mom's oldest daughter's youngest daughter ((you follow?)). She cries a lot. Her lack of amusement is excusable because A. She's usually walking around without any pants on; B. She brings me things while I'm studying, frequently a tomato or else a her socks; and C. She's teething.) When all's said and done, I live with an inexplicably happy family. Who needs an indoor toilet and a shower when they could have perpetual amusement instead?




No comments:

Post a Comment