"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Monday, March 7, 2011

Happy Women's Day!!

To all of you ladies out there, Happy International Women's Day!!

International Women's Day (IWD) is a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future. The first IWD event was run in 1911 with more than one million women and men attending rallies campaigning for women's rights, thus it is the centennial of this great day. It's a really important holiday here in Kazakhstan, and in the rest of the post-Soviet sphere, and in many ways has a similar status as Mother's Day. The main difference is that Women's Day in Kazakhstan sees men honoring their mothers, wives, girlfriends, colleagues, etc. with flowers, candy, and gifts.

As I work in an office solely operated by women, there's was lots of Women's Day camaraderie. I gave my co-workers American cosmetics (they love this stuff!!) and roses, and in turn received:

1. vanilla shower gel
2. "herb" scented bath salts
3. a candle
4. palmolive soap
5. "Forest Fruits" shower gel
6. "Forest Fruits" deoderant

People here love to give each other toiletry products. I mean, really like toiletry products generally. Our office neighbors brought us a cake, and with my English Club (all girls) we played an hour-long game of UNO.

Tomorrow for the actual holiday itself I plan to spend it strolling through various parks with my co-workers, and going to a movie with my host sister.

Ladies, I implore you. Take the day off! This day's for you!


For more info on International Women's Day, I refer you to The Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment