"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Landlady and the End of the Dream Apartment

I have sad news to report, dear reader. The era of the dream apartment is coming to a close. For those of you that know, I spent much of the spring looking for the perfect apartment, and thought I had finally found it. I moved in in June, and have loved the freedom of living alone. My landlady, however, stomps all over this freedom every time she stops by. Here is a prime example:

Setting: Thursday evening, 7pm
Place: My humble abode
Characters: Me, The Landlady (LL)


The house phone rings, I run to answer it.
LL: Hi Katie. Um. How are you?
Me: I'm fine, and you?
LL: Good, good. ….. My daughter is coming into town tomorrow with her child and very large bags. She'll have very large bags with her and it will be difficult for her to get home, so she needs to stay in the city. And she will have her child, and very large bags. Lots of luggage. Very large bags.
Me: I understand, she can stay here with me. It's alright.
LL: No, you don't understand... We will stay in the apartment, and you will find somewhere else to stay. I'm sure it won't be a probably. We will arrive at noon tomorrow, so you will have to be gone by then. Oh, and you need to remove all of your personal items from the apartment and put them in the closet. Very good, good bye.
Me: …....


Also, it turns out she lied to me when I moved in and the heating actually doesn't work. This is a problem. Clearly it's time to move out. I will miss the beautiful washing machine, and the lovely pull-out sofa bed, and the luxuriousness of having 2 large rooms completely to myself, but I will not miss her shenanigans.

More on my summer travels soon!

1 comment:

  1. That's horrible!! I hope you can find something just as nice.

    ReplyDelete