"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Monday, October 25, 2010

Site Announcement!!!!!

Here it is, dear readers, the moment you've all been waiting for. Site placements were announced last Saturday, and I will be spending the next two years in a city called Shymkent in the south of the country. I'll be working at an non-profit called MISK (the English translation is "The Youth Information Center of K-stan") that's run by three women in their 20s that sound like they really get stuff done. It's not the city I wanted, but I think it's really going to work out well. There're already 2 youth development volunteers there, whom I think I could become pretty good friends with. I'll do a larger post with more specifics about the org and the city, but I wanted to give you all a sneak peek.
 
 This week on Wednesday we're going into Almaty for a 2 day Counterpart Conference, where all of us Youth Development Trainees get to meet our counterparts (the host country nationals at our orgs who will be responsible for our well-being) and our organization directors and do some seminary things that involve learning how to work together, drinking insane amounts of tea, etc.
 
I'm not gonna lie. I'm pumped about it. Super pumped! The org sounds great, and like they could really use a volunteer to do some organizational development, exactly what I want to do! It's gonna be good. The skies have cleared.

No comments:

Post a Comment