"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Packed for 2 Years? Check!

Whew! I'm finally packed. I think. And hope. I'm allowed to bring 2 large bags that will be checked, each weighing no more than 50 lbs. It's ridiculous to think that a person could pack for 2 entire years in 2 suitcases. But I think I've done it! I'm taking a rolling duffel and a hiker's backpack, which I'm hoping I can successfully navigate through multiple airports and the streets/paths/unpaved roads of Kazakhstan. I'm also taking a sweet backpack as a carry-on that's slash-proof. If James Bond used backpacks, he would use this backpack. It's perfect spy gear. Or Peace Corps gear, as it turns out.

I'm doing my best to round up random trinkets, knickknacks and whirligigs that I want to bring along, and I've been snapping pictures like crazy to show my host family. I'm getting more excited and less nervous with every hour, though I'm sure the second I'm in DC I'll panic a bit. But I hope it will be an exciting sort of panicking.

2 comments:

  1. repack!!!
    whoever packs the most food from home is the winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have an excuse to buy awesome backpacks. My own love of backpacks is deep like the Black Sea. Continue the general awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete